Genio is uniquely placed to combine private and Government investment to scale social innovation that is cost effective and sustainable. So far we are operating in the fields of disability, mental health and dementia, supporting 153 innovative projects all over Ireland. We believe that all Irish people – including people with disabilities, mental health difficulties and older people – should have the chance to live in their own homes with the supports they need, participating in communities that value their contributions.
Developing the Genio Trust further will enable us to reach more people and to ensure that as many as possible are given the same opportunity to achieve the life that they choose.
To date, Genio has undertaken extensive research and consultation in the dementia, disability and mental health fields. It is clear that, by identifying and encouraging good cost-effective practice across the sectors, significant improvements in outcomes can be achieved.
While examples of excellent practice exist in different parts of Ireland, other significant resources are trapped in services that are neither cost-effective nor supportive of inclusion.
A concerted effort is required to ensure that new funding is channelled to secure a more desirable future for people who are marginalised through cost-effective, personalised supports in-line with public policy. In addition, existing resources currently locked in traditional less helpful approaches need to be re-deployed. Philanthropy can play an important role by encouraging the re-focusing of resources.
Why invest in the Genio Trust?
The current economic downturn presents an opportunity to refocus resources in a more strategic, cost-effective direction, in the interests of people who are marginalised.
The Genio Trust offers a valuable opportunity for the public, private and social sectors to collaborate, combining their efforts to achieve sustainable improvements.
The Genio Trust:
- Provides maximum impact for once-off, short-term or longer term investments – large and small
- Has the knowledge and relationships to identify good projects on a nationwide basis and to identify those which offer value-for-money in the interest of those being supported
- Fosters cutting edge practice by connecting innovative projects across the country
- Offers strategic opportunities to leverage funding and resources to maximise success
- Only supports projects which are self-sufficient beyond the life of the Genio Trust grant
- Maintains regular contact with grantees to monitor and evaluate outcomes
- Is accountable to funders to meet agreed objectives